Monday, March 9, 2015

True Life | I’m on the #SASearch #8



ACPA

I am fresh off the plane from being at my first ACPA conference. I can tell you it was quite the experience. There were so many people there, so many amazing sessions and so many socials/ meetings that I had no idea what to do with myself. My experience at the conference could be a whole other blog post but I wanted to talk about my experience with Career Central.

So as I mentioned last week, I had two interviews scheduled on Thursday. One interview was for a multicultural affairs job and the other interview was for two positions which were Student Activities and Academic Advising related.  I got there about an hour before my interviews and got an orientation on the area. Once the orientation was done, I went to the candidate area to read over the materials I had. About 15 minutes before my first interview, I went to the waiting area. As the time got closer, I got more and more nervous. I was sitting there and then I heard my name being called. Here goes nothing!

My first interview was with the multicultural affairs job. As soon as we got to the table, it felt very relaxing. My interviewer, who would be my direct supervisor, got right into talking about the job, the school and the feel of what the office does. She asked me a couple questions related to things that were on the job description. All the questions were things I expected so it was good. I then got to ask her some questions that I had prepped. The whole interview lasted a little less than half an hour.

When I finished with that interview, I went back to the waiting area for my next interview. The first mistake I made was that I didn’t block the half hour before or after my first interview to give me some time to regroup. When I realized I should have done that, it was too late. I waited for my name to be called again and within a couple of minutes it was. This time, someone other than the person I had been in contact with came to get me. We walked back to the table where I met the other interviewer. This interview was also like the other one. Although they had more questions, it felt more like a conversation. There was a lot of laughing which made me feel extremely good.

After my interviews, I went back to the candidate area to write my thank you notes. I chatted with a couple other candidates and then dropped the notes off and was done for the day. At Career Central they give you a mailbox which you can check whenever you want. On Friday, I had gone to check my mailbox and had a note from my first interviewer that she wanted to schedule a second interview!

On Saturday, I went to my interview prepared for a longer interview. However, that wasn’t the case. When she came over to me, she suggested we go to get coffee and talk a little more about the area around the college and the job. We sat outside and chatted for about an hour. It again felt really relaxed. I didn’t feel like I was on an interview but rather that I was chatting with a colleague. 

One thing I noticed was that the interview setting wasn’t as distracting as I thought it would be. I was able to focus on the interviews and not get distracted by other people talking or walking by. It was easy to tune into the interview and focus on what they were saying or asking. 

I think both interviews went really well. I am excited to see where things go from here. Both interviews said we would hear back until April so I have a bit of a wait. 

Til next time!

Graduation Countdown = 67 days

No comments:

Post a Comment