Tuesday, March 17, 2015

The New Girl #9

Guess What!?!

On-Campus Interviews!

And so it begins. I officially received my first on-campus interview! Wahoo! 

It is so exciting talking to someone who is interested in my candidacy and bringing me to their campus to meet their colleagues and students I could be working with. To prepare, I have been practicing questions and reflecting on my experiences and situations I have encountered and worked through. There were a few questions that I stumbled through during my job fair at the Oshkosh Placement Exchange which I have reflected on and have developed a better answer for.

Tell me about yourself-
This is the perfect opportunity to sell my qualifications to the interviewers. I plan to briefly describe my experiences, skills, accomplishments, goals and personal qualities.I will explain my interest for the position, and how I plan to make a contribution there. As a recent graduate, I think it is also important to tie in my educational qualifications and any specific classes I took that are relevant to the position.

What sets you apart from the crowd?
I wanted to communicate my experiences but I feared of sounding arrogant. I want to communicate self-confidence so I plan to talk about observations that other people have made about my work, or successes as well as feedback that I used to become a better professional. I also am going to focus on the position that I am applying for and what truly sparks my interest in that certain position. My answer will be unique to reflect who I am and what I have all accomplished. Essentially, to me, the interviewers are asking 'why should I hire you?'

Tell me about a time you didn't perform to your capabilities and what did you learn from that situation?
I really wanted to be honest with this question but I also didn't want to shoot a hole in the bottom of my boat. It made me reflect on a negative situation and how it didn't go as plan, but it also demonstrated that I should learn something from good and bad experiences. I plan to use the same situation and then expand on the better judgement I now have as a result of that learning experience. It also will give me a chance to describe a stressful project I worked on and specific actions I took to organize myself and how I kept myself calm and professional under pressure.

Helpful Tips!!
There are always questions that stump me and I feel like it may negatively affect me in the hiring process. In order to combat that, I have asked to have the question repeated or rephrased to give me more time to think of an answer.

Also to prepare for on-campus interviews, I've done more researching about that particular institution as well as entertainment in the area as I may end up living there and will need to get away from campus sometimes. I'm really big into coffee shops and shopping as well as trying local restaurants. During my visit after my interviews, I plan to spend some time in the local area exploring before I drive back.

Until next week my friends, you know you love campus visits, XOXO Graduate Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment