Monday, March 2, 2015

The New Girl #7

The Eagle has left the Coop, 

I Repeat, 

The Eagle Has Left The Coop..

So, Last week I was on my way to the Oshkosh Placement Exchange in Oshkosh, Wisconsin with a few of my fellow co-workers. There were so many things running in my head that I wasn't sure where to start, hence the reason I forgot to post in this blog!

A few things I did earlier last week after I set up interviews with the institutions was research. Prep work is exciting for me because it gives me an insight into the place I could be working at or individuals that I could be working with.

While I was at the conference, I smiled and was courteous to everyone I met. You never know who worked for which institution in the past so it was also important to not talk badly about anyone. I was informed that if I needed to vent, I should go to the bathroom and stomp it out and grit my teeth and moan, but not to do it in public! Very important tip as you also don't know who is listening in the waiting areas, in the stairwell or in the elevator.

While in interviews, when it was my turn to ask questions, I wrote down their answers. My questions ranged from the type of staff in the building to traditional programs that were put on all the way to supervisors I would have or student conferences I would have the opportunity to attend as an advisor.

ALSO! SUPER IMPORTANT! Always ask what the timeline is for the search process. It is nice to know if the institution is going to any other job fairs or not. I also inquired about the number of openings that were available, and if they were confirmed or anticipated. Good information to know and important for any search process in moving forward.

After going through the Oshkosh Placement Exchange, I now need to sit down and review my notes. Each institution is so unique and different from the others, from the location to the opportunities available to the pet policy to even the job description! There are many factors to consider and I don't want to consider anyone out, but I do want to have a good idea of which school I am most interested in.

I'm going to start an Excel spreadsheet so I will be able to compare schools and what is all available to me!

Until next time, You know you love the job search! XOXO Graduate Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment