Friday, March 6, 2015

The New Girl #8

The Waiting Game Begins...

Well I made it. The dreaded week after a job fair. Some of my colleagues have already faced rejections from certain schools and positive feedback from others. I have heard mostly positive, Thank God!

I also have my spring break coming up this next week and I'm leaving my office to go home and relax with family. I've posted an away message to let others know how to best contact me or when to expect to hear a response from me.

Staying organized has definitely helped through out my search and I have one article that I read this past January to thank: "5 Tips to Keep Your Job Search Organized" by Jennifer Fry on CareerMinds (http://careerminds.com/blog/5-tips-to-keep-your-job-search-organized/)

Jennifer states 5 keys to staying organized: Establish a workplace, Choose a "shift", Make a to-do-list, Create a record, and keep one folder. Easy enough right? Okay, let me break it down a little further for you.

Establish a workplace
I choose my office simply because it was a convenient place for me to keep everything in one place. I also had access to a computer and a printer.

Choose a "shift"
Set a side a time each day to work on your job search or to do research on an institution. Days are always busy and time slides through our fingers before we know it so setting aside a specific time helps stay on track for a productive job search.

Make a to-do-list
No matter how hard I work, I can never do everything in one sitting. This is were to do lists become helpful. It reminds me all of what I still need to complete so I can start focused and not cluttered when my "shift" time rolls around.

Create a record
I started an excel sheet with the list of schools and positions I applied to. I also included what about that school excited me or what I could bring to the school that I did not readily see on their website.

Keep one folder
I like paper so I printed off everything I could. I have a binder that I keep the job descriptions posted in. I also have an online folder where I keep websites and my excel sheet handy so I'm not searching the piles of papers on my desk or trying to remember where I saved an article on my desk drive.



Well I hope you all are well on your way to your job searches and have already applied. I think the big difference I have noticed between my Graduate school job search and my full time position is going through the Human Resources at institutions, it takes a bit more time so I'm learning to be patient!

You know you love the anticipation! XOXO Graduate Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment