Monday, January 26, 2015

The New Girl #3

The Flood Gates Have Opened!

After registering for the Oshkosh Placement Exchange, I have started receiving tons of emails from different schools asking me to schedule interviews with them. Now granted that the conference is mainly Housing positions, I'm super excited. 

I've started an OPE tracker sheet. 

I know.. I'm super exciting and over-organized hahaha
I have tracked current interviews I have set up (I'm up to 8! eeek!), Institutions that I have contacted as well as ones that have contacted me (dates are included for timely follow up).

For schools I declined interviews with, I also put the reason why such as location, position responsibilities, professional opportunities, benefits/salary, on campus vs off campus living requirements, and such things.

For schools that I can interviews set up with, I have listed reasons why I want to work for that institution. Some of those reasons include the same reasons for schools I declined interviews with. So while I may have said no to one school for the location, I might be excited about the location of another school. Let's be honest though, I need warmer weather in my life! Hello Georgia sunshine!

I've also started a spreadsheet to compare other schools. Not the most ideal comparison type for me as I connect better with the people I work with and think myself competent for any job I am interested in or can quickly pick up. 

I've also started practicing my interviewing skills. I stand in front of a mirror and practice saying "How Now Brown Cow".. okay not really but that would be funny if I actually did. I have a set of questions I review that I think potential employers will ask me. I don't want to sound canned but I'm not going to sit there either and try to decide if I could better explain my communication skills by sharing one story over the other.

I do have a video interview set up with an institution this week. I know video interview? You can almost guess what my topic next week will be about!

Well until next time my fellow readers, 

You know you love to be organized like me XOXO, Graduate Girl


No comments:

Post a Comment