Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The New Girl #2

Cover Letters Coming Out of My Ears....

If there is one thing I really dislike about job searching it is writing cover letters.

Seriously.

Yes. I like your school. I have great experiences that make me a good candidate for an open position. If I didn't think it is a good fit, I wouldn't apply. I see the need for cover letters and maybe it is that I put a TON of effort into mine. First impressions make a difference, right? I need to make my cover letters personable because generic cover letters are boring and say the same thing. Blah Blah Blah you can find everything I am saying already on my resume..

I do a little research into the department's mission and vision and what their top priorities are. I find  one or two that really entice me. I also look at the position description and find responsibilities that I already have experienced then elaborate on my experience and how I excelled in those areas.

The down fall is that this takes some time to research and then personalize the letter. I also want to have my personality to come out a bit as I like to think I am a fun person to be around and I like to laugh. Although I applied to a school in Montana and made a comment about how I never imagined myself living in Montana until I did a little more research on the school. Hopefully the search committee finds some humor in it.

I have applied to attend the Oshkosh Placement Exchange in late February which is mainly a Residence Life Interview Conference/Networking Event. So the good news is that there are a ton of listings of open positions in Residence Life and offers opportunities to be on University Committees. The GREAT news is that after I posted my resume, I received emails from schools interested in me! The bad news is that in order to be considered for an interview, I need to apply online and part of the process, yes you guessed it, includes a cover letter. Yippie! But being a student in their last semester of graduate school, I have plenty of time (insert sarcasm here..)

At least, I make time at the end of the day to watch one.. okay.. two episodes of Gossip Girl off of Netflix because we need to have a healthy balance between work and personal time. Justification approved! Although I can't justify eating the whole bag of Doritos last night...my bad.

Hopefully next time, I will be able to share good news as to whether or not I have any interviews lined up!

Until next week.. you know you love the job search!

XOXO Graduate Girl


No comments:

Post a Comment