Sunday, January 25, 2015

True Life | I’m on the #SASearch #3

Location, Location

I've finally decided where I want to job search- location wise at least. There are 7 states that I've decided to search in. When you hear 7 it might seem like a lot but it isn't 7 full states that I’m searching in.

My 7 states are separated into three different categories:
1) Close to Mom – Massachusetts, Connecticut & Rhode Island
2) Close to my Partner – DC, Maryland & Virginia
3) Close to my Uncle – North Carolina

So the way I decided where to search was within an hour/ two hour commute from the home of my mom, partner or uncle.  I am blessed to have three people who don’t mind me moving in with them if I secure a job in their area. I think knowing where I can job search and the specific locations/institutions in that area make life a lot easier.

My mom is being the biggest blessing for me about my job search. She suggested that if I stay in our area, she’ll let me stay at home (rent free) so that I can save up some money to get my own place. I think it’s a blessing that she’d let me do that. I know how much money I can save staying with her and how I can get ahead of the bills and what not that way. She even offered to allow my partner to move in with us while we save for our own place.

 My partner and I have been in a long distance relationship so I've always considered moving to his area. I’ve visited multiple times and I love it down there. There are a lot of colleges and universities in that area so I don’t think finding something in that area would be a problem.  We would be close to my partner’s son and family and he would be able to keep his full time job he has down there. The only con is that we would have to find a place to move in to right away and apartments can be expensive over there depending where we decided on living.

The other option is to search for jobs near my uncle. Last time he came to visit, he said that I’d be welcomed to live with him if I found a job in his area. Again, this would be great because although I would help around the house and contribute wherever needed, I could save some money up until I got a place of my own. However, this is my last option. I want to focus on the first two sets of states and then focus on the last one.

I feel like knowing exactly where I want to search has lifted a weight off my shoulders.

On another note, I really have to practice interviewing. I had a phone interview for a part time job (non sa related) and I think that although I think the lady liked me, I think I could interview better. I definitely need to get this going before I start applying and getting interviews. I also need to practice answers to the basic questions (strengths, weaknesses, etc.).  But that’s for another post…

Graduation Countdown = 111 days


No comments:

Post a Comment