Sunday, February 1, 2015

True Life | I’m on the #SASearch #4

First job down

I just applied to my first job. Finally right?! But let me tell you, it almost didn’t happen. Let me tell you the story.

So last night, I went to finish the cover letter for another job I had previously found. I had been working on the cover letter, but you know how that goes. I was stuck so I hadn’t finished it. So, I went to go back to the listing and guess what? It was gone (sounds familiar right).  So of course last night I was mad. But it didn’t last too long.

I went back on my list of possible jobs and found another one I applied to. Having the fuel from being mad, I was able to write a cover letter and tweak my resume for the job. I had my mom reread my cover letter and the job posting to make sure I hit all the bases. She liked it so I knew it was okay. I felt confident going into applying.

This morning, I had her reread it (you can never be too sure).  I go on the site and start my application process. I fill out all the preliminary questions and go to upload my resume. So I click the document I want to add and then click that I have more documents to upload. As I’m uploading what is supposed to be my cover letter, I realize I uploaded my cover letter instead of my resume. Now, I start panicking. I’m like “Mom, I made a mistake.”, except I wasn’t too calm about it because the nerves of applying to my first job have taken over. I’m freaking out. I tried to go back and it wouldn’t let me. So now, I’m thinking I have to withdraw my application. I mean, I can’t apply with the wrong documents because that would show I don’t pay attention to detail, right? So I go to withdraw my app and it says once you withdraw you can’t reapply. So now I’m stuck because I really like this job but again, I can’t apply with the lack of attention to detail.

My idea to fix it was that I was going to just upload another document with the correct resume and cover letter ad have it show that I had two resumes and hope for the best. However, when I went to go put my new resume, it updated the one I had originally uploaded and then I was allowed to upload my cover letter as well.

The moral of the story is to not stress the little things. I was super upset about something that was an easy fix and all I had to do was take a deep breath and reupload my resume.

On a brighter note, I actually applied to my first job!!! It was a position within the multicultural affairs department at a school within an hour and a half from my mom. The job has to do with programming and working with underrepresented students. It seems like a job I would love to do. I’ve been to the city that the school is located in before and I loved it so that’s definitely a plus. I’m really excited I applied (even with the mess ups).

Graduation Countdown = 103 days

No comments:

Post a Comment