Friday, May 1, 2015

True Life | I’m on the #SASearch #13



Real Updates!
I just noticed I haven’t blogged in about two weeks. I’m sorry about that! However, I have some good news to share with y’all.

First off, yesterday was my last day as a student affairs graduate student! I am officially done with all my classes. It feels so good to be done. I have to go back to campus for a senior event on Monday and then just for graduation in 15 days! I can’t believe that these two years have flown by. I’ve learned so much with my classes, my internships and the professional development I have done. I will forever remember this experience. 

On the job searching side, I have some updates! So, I’ve been applying to jobs that I find either here or in DC still. I applied to a job with an organization that works with high school juniors and seniors and gives them support throughout their time in undergraduate. I had actually participated in the program when I was in high school and college so I thought it would be appropriate to apply to work for an organization that helped me out. 

Last week, while I was waiting for class to start, I got a call from the organization asking me to come in for an interview. They said I would be meeting with two people (one who is a colleague and the other who would be my boss). I said yes and went in for an interview on Wednesday. The interviews went well. It was quicker than I expected it to be. They both asked about 10-12 questions and then allowed me to ask any questions that I had. When I asked about the timeline, I was told that I would hear back within 2 weeks and then if I was a runner up, I would have a final interview with the State Director. It’s funny, going into the interview I was very nervous per usual but as I walked into the interview, I noticed my picture from my undergraduate graduation on the wall and I automatically felt better. My confidence level went up and I think that helped me with both interviews. Today, I was at home and I got a missed call and a voicemail. It was the same company. They wanted me to come in for my final interview. We set a time for next week. I will be meeting with the State Director and the interview should last about an hour. 

This position works with low income, first generation high school juniors and seniors. I would have caseload of about 100 students and I would help them with applying to college and financial aid. Once they are in college, I would be there support for up to 6 years. I would assist in picking classes, settling financial aid and overall college life.  The position is a combination of academic success work and academic advising. 

I’m excited about this position because it would mean that I would be able to stay in my hometown. It would give me time to find my own place and save some money to start paying off these school loans. 

I’ve applied to some other jobs that I’m waiting to hear from that are within my state. I’m hoping to hear back from those as well to see what other job opportunities I may have. 

Graduation Countdown = 15 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment