Tuesday, April 21, 2015

The New Girl #13

Roller Coaster of Emotions

If anyone ever told you job searching was easy, I would like to meet them and find out what their secret is. This past week has been a whirl-wind of emotions for me. I was offered a position but felt like I was rushed to make a decision so I turned it down, watched my co-workers get and accept their dream jobs at schools they really liked, learned one of my top schools had completed their search and now I have another on-campus interview with one of my other top schools. I've also had many things going on at work with some students I work directly with as well as finishing up my graduate program requirements before I can walk across that stage and get my diploma. Whew! I feel like Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen with so much to do and so little time.

The Job Search
Now I'm sure there are people out there that are dying for job offers that would have liked to give me a swift kick for turning down one, but, in all honesty, I just did not feel right accepting the offer. There was a gut feeling that I would do good but I wouldn't be entirely satisfied. It was almost like I was settling which is hard to say because I really enjoyed the staff that I met, the location was great and there were a few perks to the position that initially attracted me to the school. So some might say I turned down a good starting point but I am looking at it from what I am looking for in my next position and if I would be challenged there. It was also hard to say no when all my coworkers are celebrating their new jobs and I don't have one yet. I keep reminding myself that I need to only focus on my search and not others. This is not a race and come august, we both will have jobs so what does it matter who was hired first? I am focusing on my next on-campus interview and really digging in deep to see if this is the place for me or not. 

Balancing it All
With the job search, grad school, and work all competing priorities right now, I've really learned that I need to take time for myself. It takes a lot of energy out of a person when they are working over the supposedly "20 hours a week"- let's be honest, we all know that grad students with assistantships in Residence Life work way over 20 hours- trying to get their written comps finished, job search for their next position, and still have a social life or time to themselves. I've definitely started organizing my time more to include school time where I worked to finish my written comps- yes all 30 pages in the correct APA format! I've included "me time" as well where I either am feeling outgoing and go out to a movie or out to eat with friends or I stay at home in my apartment and stream TV online or do some arts and crafts to help take my mind off of work and things that are stressing me out.

Well with only a couple of days left before I graduate, I am learning how to wrap things up nicely and hopefully leave my current position on a good note for whoever will be here next year. I've been told that people remember what you do for a department during your time there, but their final impression of you is their memory of how you left the institution. 

You know you love saying good-bye! until next time...
XOXO Graduate Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment