Tuesday, April 7, 2015

The New Girl #11

Research, Research, Research....

I have been doing research nonstop on these schools that I am interested in. I'm also trying to find the balance in asking questions or making comments to show that I have done my research when talking with those who work at that institution. I've also been doing research on just plain interviewing. Recently I was thinking about Google after seeing the movie "The Internship"and was doing some research on their hiring process and found some interesting articles.  One article was titled, "Google HR boss shares the company's 4 rules for hiring exceptional employees" and told employers to set an uncompromisable high standard, find their own candidates, put checks in place to assess candidates objectively, and provide candidates with a reason to join. After reading through the listed suggestions, I was actually starting to panic then I saw a link to another article and after one click, I was on to the next Google article and the next until I found one that sparked my interest. 

Google HR boss says you can win every interview with these 6 steps
Alright author, you have my attention... What do you got for me? Something that I immediately related to was that first impressions are important. You never get a second chance to make a first impression. The six tips were also helpful and made me prep even more for certain positions I had applied to. The lesson I took away was plain and simple - practice. It is better to be prepared than to sit in a room with people looking at you waiting for an answer or to talk in circles and forget what the questions was even about.

Something I have started doing recently is asking myself in the beginning of the day, "What am I all going to accomplish today?" It helps me focus between finishing up Grad School, completing my daily tasks at work, and still stay on track for my job search. At the end of the day I ask myself, "What did I all accomplish? What do I need to focus on tomorrow?" This helps me stay focused and balance when it comes to the multiple tasks I have on my plate!

Until next week my fellow friends, You know you love to do research! XOXO Graduate Girl


No comments:

Post a Comment