Monday, February 2, 2015

The New Girl #4

Ready... Set... Action


Freeze, so I had a video interview right. Here's how it went: HORRIBLE..

If Simon Cowell were there he would have thrown something at me and walked out of the room. Yes it was that bad..

So let me relive this with you so I don't repeat myself again. You learn from your mistakes right?

 So an institution from out west requested a video interview with me. I have had Skype interviews so I thought, "Okay, I got this." They send me a link for me to create my profile account and log in credentials and they send me an e-invite. I add them and click around to look at their profile and try to connect my computer so everything is set up for my interview. Suddenly it goes straight into the interview! So here I am sitting in my sweats on a Sunday night about to be video recorded with my hair sticking straight up in a ponytail and no make-up on. In the background is my unmade bed and personal paintings and family pictures and a huge Lady Antebellum poster on the wall.  Problem #1 - Clothes. Personal Appearance. Background. 

I quickly pull my hair down and try to make myself more presentable. My school zip up was ripped off the back of my chair and quickly thrown on and zipped up. I had school pride going for me at least! I adjust my computer screen so now it is mainly a window with the shades drawn behind me.

First the directions are scrolling up the screen and I'm scanning them. The question will appear on the screen and then I have two minutes to read it, one minute to think of my response before the computer starts automatically filming me. "Okay. Not a big deal. I can do this now" I think to myself.

First Question. "Tell us about yourself" - Seriously? I hate.. wait, no, I loathe this question. What do you want to know about me? My life story - I doubt it. How I broke my wrist falling down stairs - hilarious but I doubt that is what they are looking for. The question is so vague and can be very judgmental based on differing perspectives if you discuss political views or religious beliefs which should never be shared in an interview I have been informed. So back to the question, I do what anyone else does when they are asked to talk about themselves - I retreat to my resume. I was involved in this and have experience in that. Not my best answer.

Next Question. “What influenced you to choose this career?” Yes, this question I got! I know why I wanted to go into Student Affairs since I was a resident assistant.
There were a couple other questions that I stumbled through that related to what type of supervisor do I work best with, what aspects do you bring to a team, and explaining a situation where I had done more than what was expected.  

The one question where I sat on a fence and could not decide was “Which is more important: creativity or efficiency? Why?” I’m curious to know what you all think. Which is more important? I’ll share my answer with you all next week!


Until then, you know you love the job search! XOXO, Graduate Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment