Monday, February 9, 2015

The New Girl #5

Interviews, Check.. Travel Arrangements, Check.. Who I'll be working with next year... Ummm? 

In less than three weeks, I will be at the Oshkosh Placement Exchange. I'm traveling with some other colleagues from my institution and I checked in to see how many interviews they had set up. One had four, one had sixteen...so there is quite a range of interviews one can set up as you can see. I currently have nine interviews set up and I'm really excited. I have a school from Ohio, Nebraska, Washington, Minnesota, Georgia, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana and Kansas! 

I guess you can say I have a pretty good chance of staying in the Midwest. And when I asked my colleagues who they were interviewing with, we had some of the same schools! At first, I was scared. They would probably get the job over me I thought, but then I realized, we could be co-workers again! I became excited and suddenly I wasn't dreading the interviews as much. Now I'm even more excited because I love my co-workers. I would love to continue working with them. Everyone had people that they hate working with but also those who they enjoy working with! I would love to continue working with my current supervisor. I told her we should interview together and have the tag line "Two for one" deal.  

I know many listings describe the kind of work that is expected from you but it doesn't tell you one thing- the people you will be working with. I've become to think of some co-workers as family. They have been there when I needed to vent, when I needed a shoulder to cry on, when I needed to go see a movie and couldn't go by myself, or when I wanted to go to a football game and again, I couldn't go by myself! (My parents were big on the buddy system if you couldn't tell.)

I'm excited to interview with these schools, but I'm more excited to meet the individuals that I will be working with. I will most likely be seeing them on a daily basis around campus, working on committees with them, traveling to conferences and sharing ideas or knowledge with them. I also will get to interact with them outside of the job by going to movies, shopping for programs (almost outside of work haha), going to athletic events on campus, trivia nights at Applebees, and others. 

So how do I know which school will be the right school? I guess I'll have to develop those questions or look them up on Pinterest. I did already find this little set of questions off of Student Affairs 360 that gives some prep questions for free. Check it out: - -> here <- -   Let me know if you all find some good resources or questions that helped you out!

You know you love the job search! XOXO Graduate Girl


No comments:

Post a Comment